YALE SOCIETIES HOLD TAP DAY

Foundation of Polity Club and Athletic Success Mark Past Week.

New Haven, Conn., May 20.--Last Thursday was Tap Day at Yale. At the request of the junior class, the elections to the three senior societies were celebrated for the first time in Berkeley Oval. The feature of the event was the turning down of Skull and Bones by one man.

An International Polity Club, corresponding in purpose to the Federation recently organized at Harvard, for the study and discussion of international law, government, and diplomatic relations, was organized, a constitution adopted, and officers elected. The officers together with four prominent members of the faculty, Mr. J. R. Crawford and Professors Phelps, Emery and Bingham, will form a council, whose duty it to provide the subjects and principal speakers for the meetings.

Yale had a very successful week in athletics. The university baseball team played two errorless games, winning from Dartmouth 2 to 1, and from Holy Cross 1 to 0, while the freshman team defeated Hotchkiss 5 to 4 and the Irving School 4 to 3. The second university crew finished second to the Harvard second crew in the Junior Race at the Henley Regatta and fourth in the open race.

In the minor sports the tennis team defeated Dartmouth and Amherst by the score of 6 matches to 0, and tied both Pittsburgh and Cornell; while the golf team won five out of 6 matches from Williams.

The thirteenth annual interscholastic track meet, held under the auspices of the Yale Track Association, was won by Exeter with 55 points, Lawrenceville and Mercersburg tieing for second with 23 points, and Hotchkiss taking fourth place with 17 points.