PEDAGOGIC BURDENS EASED

Aspirants for Teaching Positions in High Schools Get Two Years' Experience Credit on A.M. Degrees.

The Boston School Committee has recently passed a regulation under which students who take the degree of Master of Arts in the Division of Education may secure high-school certificates after one year of experience in teaching. The total requirement for high-school certificates is three years of experience. A "satisfactory course in pedagogy" as heretofore defined by the Boston authorities is accepted instead of one of experience and so by the new ruling the A.M. in Education will be accepted instead of two years of experience.

The requirements for the "satisfactory course in pedagogy" may be met in Harvard or in Radcliffe by taking the following courses: (1) Psychology A or 1; (2) An introductory course in Philosophy or a course in Social Ethics; (3) Education A, or B, or 5, or 7; (4) Education 1; (5) Education 3b; (6) Education 9. This curriculum may be completed as undergraduate work, and will be accepted instead of one year of experience.

Requirements for Exemptions.

The new ruling concerning the A.M. in Education is as follows: "The degree of Master of Arts will be accepted in lieu of two years of experience in the requirement for high-school certificates, provided (a) that the candidate shall have received both Bachelor's degree and the Master's degree from institutions approved by the Board of Superintendents; (b) that the Master's degree shall have been recommended for the year of graduate study beyond the Bachelor's degree; (c) that the candidate shall have been recommended for the Master's degree by the Department or School of Education of the institution by which the degree is conferred; (d) that the candidate's complete curriculum, both undergraduate and graduate, shall have included instruction in the following fields:-Psychology, educational Psychology; Philosophy, Logic, or Social Ethics; Economics, or Political Science; the Principles of Education; the History of Education; Secondary Education, with systematic observation of schools; Teaching, with practice under supervision; and graduate study in the subject the candidate intends to teach. (e) that the instruction in each of these fields shall have been equivalent to at least three semester-hours of class work; (f) that the work to be credited in Secondary Education and in Teaching, shall be done in the graduate year as part of the candidate's preparation for the Master's degree; (g) that the instruction in Secondary Education shall be equivalent to six semester-hours of class work; (h) that the course in Teaching shall include at least 120 periods of supervised class-room work; (i) that a record of the candidate's work under these provisions be presented on forms supplied by the Board duly certified by the Dean or Head of the School or Department of Education of the institution in which the master's degree is secured."

Students who expect to take advantage of this opportunity to qualify for posts in the Boston School System should consult the Chairman of the Division of Education, Professor H. W. Holmes, Lawrence 5, before the close of the present academic year.