A SLUMP IN SUPPORT.

Every baseball team must slump sometime, says an old adage of the game, and one must admit that there is truth in it, when one considers how well the University team started the season and how soundly it was beaten by Dartmouth yesterday. However, the loss of one game or even of several games does not mean that the team is demoralized by overconfidence or poor condition. It is the inevitable slump, and a team that has showed the baseball ability displayed by Captain Wingate's nine in most of its games this year is bound to come out of its slump before long.

The weather, the examinations, not to mention a temporary weakness in the pitching department, all probably enter into the composition of the slump; but one element is present in it, an important psychological one, for whose existence there is no excuse, that is the lack of undergraduate support which was so plainly apparent at yesterday's game. Even considering the time of year and its manifold duties, there is no reason why more undergraduates should not go to Soldiers Field and encourage the team by their presence. Without such support, even the best team must falter. With such support, a return to winning form can be confidently expected.