CRUISE OF CUTTER "SENECA"

Mr. Patten Described Hydrographic Work and Rescue of Four Survivors of "Columbian."

"Hydrographic Work on the Seneca," illustrated by an unusual series of pictures, was described by B. M. Patten 3G., in a lecture before the Zoological Club yesterday afternoon.

Mr. Patten sailed late in March on the "Seneca," whose duty is to patrol the southern limits of the ice fields and to warn steamers of any danger. A few days after sailing the first of the icebergs was met. These icebergs are over a year old, coming down from Greenland a year ago, and, although growing smaller in the warmer water, many of them will be carried back to the north and will regain their size. The "Seneca" also encountered miles of "slop" ice-fields, the largest being nine miles square.

Contrary to the general belief, the temperature does not perceptibly lower when an iceberg is approached.

Without doubt the most interesting part of the lecture was that which dealt with the rescue of the four survivors of the "Columbian'. It was only by the merest chance that the little boat was sighted, for if two hours had not been lost in making soundings and other investigations, the "Seneca" would have been far out of its path and would have passed it in the night. The boat, distinguished by a coat fastened to a pole, was sighted three miles off. The men, when found, had only a handful of crumbs left as their rations, but after a short time all but the leader were in fair condition.