ATHLETES STRIVE FOR INTERCOLLEGIATE TRACK SUPREMACY

PENNSYLVANIA AND CORNELL FAVORITES ON EVE OF GREAT MEET.--HARVARD WEAKER THAN LAST YEAR.

Preliminary trials of the thirty-ninth annual track and field games of the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America, to which twenty-six colleges have sent a total of 585 entries, will take place in the Stadium this afternoon at 2.30 o'clock. Trials in three field events will begin then, and at 3 o'clock will come the first track trials.

Heats in all track events except the mile and two-mile runs will be completed today. Tomorrow the semi-finals of the two bashes and the hurdle races, and the finals of all track events will occur. All events tomorrow will begin at 3 o'clock.

In the meet Yale has the largest number of entries, 73; Cornell and Harvard stand second and third in representation, with 68 and 58 entries respectively.

Pennsylvania and Cornell Best.

From the prospects it appears that either Pennsylvania or Cornell will win, Pennsylvania having perhaps the better team of the two. Though weaker than least year, Harvard will present some strong contestants.

The fairest method of getting an idea of the comparative strength of the different teams is by considering the prospects for each event separately..

The 100-yard dash will be fought out between representatives of Cornell, Michigan and Pennsylvania. All four men who placed last year, including J. E. Patterson, of Pennsylvania who tied the record of 9 4-5 seconds, will be in the finals tomorrow. Seldom has such a remarkable field of sprinters been gathered in one race. The five men to place will probably be Patterson and Lippincott, of Pennsylvania, Bond and Seward, of Michigan, and Reller, of Cornell. Since Bond has done 9 4-5 seconds this spring and since all are capable of 10 seconds flat, the winner is extremely doubtful. One thing is certain, if weather conditions are favorable, the victor will have to do 9 4-5 seconds or better.

Practically the same story may be told for the 220-yard dash. However, if W. A. Barron, Jr., '14, decides to enter this event after competing in the quarter mile, he probably will place. Lippincott, of Pennsylvania, in winning this event last year, tied the record of 21 1-5 seconds. Barron went 1-5 of a second slower at Ithaca; however, Bond, of Michigan has been caught in 21 seconds flat. Acording to his performances this spring, the latter should capture this event, with Lippincott a close second.

Barron and Meredith in Quarter.

In the 440-yard run a great deal depends on the draw. If Barron is fortunate in this respect he should win the race. However, if Meredith, of Pennsylvania, decides to run in the quarter he will make a very dangerous competitor. Janson, of Michigan, should take a place unless he saves himself for the half, and Wilkie, of Yale, and W. J. Bingham '16 should both gain points with Caldwell, of Cornell, Lockwood, of Princeton, and J. C. Rock '15 as other contestants.

Undoubtedly the feature of the day will be the half-mile, with Brown, of Yale, and Meredith, of Pennsylvania, as the chief contenders. The latter, who holds the world's record of 1 minute, 52 1-2 seconds, should win this event, especially if he saves himself for it by keeping out of the quarter. Brown did 1 minute, 54 seconds two weeks ago and can undoubtedly reduce this, but hardly enough to defeat Meredith. At all events, J. P. Jones's record of 1 minute, 53 4-5 seconds, will probably be lowered, if running conditions are at all favorable. F. W. Capper '15 should place in this race. Granger, of Dartmouth and Jansen, of Michigan, complete the quintet that should carry off the five places. Caldwell, of Cornell, and Hayes, of Princeton have both made good times.

Madeira, Spelden, Best In Mile

Speiden, of Cornell, and Madeira, of Pennsylvania, are the two leading competitors in the mile run with the odds favoring the latter, although both have made 4 minutes, 19 4-5 seconds. Marceau, of Dartmouth, should be a close third, while Wood, of California, Poucher, of Yale and McKenzie, of Princeton, will fight it out for the last two places. There is little danger of J. P. Jones's record being broken in this race tomorrow, but the men are so evenly matched that an unusually fast time will result.

Another Pennsylvania man, McCurdy, is the favorite for the two-mile run, and should repeat his victory of last year. McCurdy has made 9 minute. 35 seconds this spring, several seconds better than anyone else. Hoffmire, of Cornell and R. St. B. Boyd '14 are expected to engage in a duel for second place. Boyd has done excellent work in practice since the Yale meet, when he beat Hoffmire's time in the Cornell meet by 5 seconds, and should not only take second place, but should give McCurdy a hard fight. the winners of fourth and fifth places should be Clark, of Yale, and Potter, of Cornell, with Cook of Technology close up.

The high hurdles will fall to Potter, of Yale, or Braun, of Dartmouth, although Hammitt, of Penn State, will make it close. A. L. Jackson '14, has been showing improved form and should land in the scoring with a fourth or possible third. Armstrong, of Michigan and Ferguson, of Pennsylvania have both done 16 seconds as has Preble, of California; so there is very little to choose between them.

In the low hurdles, Shelton of Cornell, and Ferguson, of Pennsylvania, should finish first and second respectively. Potter, of Yale, Smith, of Michigan and Braun or Hammitt should take the remaining three places.

Hard to Forecast Field Events

The results of the field events are no easier to forecast than the track. Kohler of Michigan and Loughride, of Yale will probably take the first two places, in the hammer-throw, although Coolidge, of California has done better than 150 feet on two different occasions. Olmsted, of Columbia is another man who can do 150 feet, while McCutcheon, of Cornell has made 149 feet. H. Sturgis '15, may secure fifth place, but a higher position is improbable.

Whitney, of Dartmouth should repeat his work of last year and win the shot-put, with Beatty, of Columbia and Kohler, of Michigan second and third. Harbison, of Yale and Dorizas, of Pennsylvania are the favorites for the last two places, with Olmsted, of Columbia as runner-up.

J. B. Camp '15, has done the best of anyone in the pole-vault to date, and if he continues in his present form he should register 5 points. Nevertheless, Cornell has two good men in Fritz and Milton, who defeated Camp in the dual games and who may force Camp to take second or even third. Sewell, of Pennsylvania, and Carter, of Yale are two others who have gone higher than 12 feet although the latter is irregular in his work. These men should take fourth and fifth places respectively.

J. O. Johnstone '16, Cannot Enter

Harvard loses several sure points in the broad and high jumps since J. O. Johnstone '16, is barred because of a technicality in a ruling of the I. C. A. A. A. A. The high jump should go to Oler, of Yale, without much dispute unless it be from the Californians, McPhie and Nichols, for there no other high jumpers who can make 6 feet. Douglas, of Yale has done 5 feet, 11 inches as have Hallett, of Haverford, and Maker, of California. These marks will probably be good enough to secure places.

Nordell, of Dartmouth, should take the broad jump, but with Morrison, of Cornell, a close second; Broadt, also of Cornell, should be good for third place while Cooke, and Hampton of Yale and Graham, of Columbia will probably divide the last two places among them