AS OTHERS SEE OUR PROBLEMS

The Christian Science Monitor on Harvard, Tech and State.

The following extracts from the Monitor have been prompted by the extensive influence of undergraduate opinion more than anything else:

"The precise average opinion of any student group, especially if it be as large as Harvard's, is always difficult to know. What the leaders desire they find ways of voicing, and it is with their forth reaching views that the public is always most interested. Consequently it is significant that the university's daily paper is urging the administration to action that will bring the institution into line win the Institute of Technology in evident willingness to enter into formal relations with the commonwealth, Harvard acting as an advisory agency. To be sure Tech's plan is far from worked out, much less formally ratified. But it has gone far enough to enlist the support of many of the alumni and faculty and to become the theme of discussion throughout the state; and out of the plan some day a working arrangement may come that will give to Massachusetts what will virtually be a state technical school.

"Harvard's strategy lies in similar prompt recognition of the obligations which the new era of politics and of education are imposing upon all colleges and universities, whether state supported or privately endowed. The undergraduates feel the call, urge action, and in so doing do credit to the valor and hope of youth. Alumni, resident in Massachusetts, no doubt will look with favor on a more aggressive and formal policy than hitherto has governed the institution. This of course can be done solely on the ground of service to be rendered, and without the slightest expectation that the institution ever is to ask from the state more financial aid than it now gets, namely, tax exemption. As a matter of principle and conviction any deliberate formal change from the traditional type of privately supported university would be fought vigorously by many Harvard graduates in Massachusetts. With all the pecuniary limitations that this form of support involves it also carries with it elements of strength and independence for officials and for teachers such as are lacking where a university is dependent."