NIGHTFALL OVERTAKES CREWS

FRESHMAN AND SECOND EIGHTS UNITE AND VANQUISH THE VARSITY.

Harvard Training Quarters, Red Top, Conn., June 11, 1914. This morning all crews went out fon light work-outs. The water was smooth but the heat was intense. This afternoon the boats were not put in the water until about 7.30. The University and second crews went down to the bridge in launches and raced up-stream. At the two-mile mark the Freshmen relieved the second and raced the last two miles. Since it was pitch dark no official time was taken. The second rowed a higher stroke than the first and after a final spurt was two lengths ahead at the two-mile mark. Freshmen lost most of this lead at the end of a mile. The last leg was faster but the first could not meet the spurt of the 1917 boat, and the latter finished three quarters of a length ahead.

Potter, who has been rowing bow on the Freshman eight fell through a window and cut his arm. The injury is too severe for him to handle an oar. Higginson is rowing in his place, and Lovell has been put in at two on the four oar. J. C. White and C. A. Collidge, Jr., arrived here for trial to fill the vacancy this afternoon.

Dispatch from Yale Camp.

Yale Crew Quarter, Gales Ferry, Conn., June 11.-Freshmen and second varsity raced for two-miles, the second winning by a length and half. The first boat went three miles down-stream at a 24 stroke. In the afternoon all boats paddled about two and a half miles.