Splendid Home for Yale Men

Elaborate plans have been made by the Yale Club of New York for the magnificent 21-story clubhouse which is now under construction. The Yale "News" gives the folowing description of the building:

"A very advantageous site has been leased in a most central location--the northwest corner of Vanderbilt Avenue and 44th street, opposite the Grand Central Terminal and north of the Biltmore Hotel. In the planning of the building two general ideas have governed,--the practicability of the building for the use to which it is destined and the compatibility of its appearance with the ideal of the organization which it is to house.

The idea has been to separate the various departments of the Club so that each department will occupy a section of the structure and not interfere with the other departments. Simplicity and dignity of design has been the keynote throughout. The building will be of fireproof construction with three continuous flights of stairs within fireproofed walls.

"On the first floor is the main entrance from Vanderbilt avenue. Passing up a few steps from the street one enters by a vestibule into the main lobby, the aspect of which will be as simple and quiet as possible, white columns and light walls.

"On the second floor will be a social hall. It will be decorated in the Colonial manner. Its very size will give it dignity and with windows to the east and south it will have sunlight throughout the greater part of the day. Back of it will be a large lounging lobby with the cafe at one end and a short stair at the other leading to the grill room proper on the mezzanine floor above.

"The third floor will contain the billiard room. On the fourth floor will be placed the library and small card rooms. The library, a long book room, a Colonial hall with alcoves for reading and writing and, at one end a fireplace and comfortable chairs for quiet talk--will, it is hoped, be a centre apart from the movement of ordinary club life.

"The fifth and sixth floors form a unit in themselves, with separate stairs between them. On the fifth floor the locker room, the pool and Turkish bath, and on the sixth floor the gymnasium and five squash courts. The floors from the seventh to the seventeenth will be given over to bedrooms. They have been so arranged as to make the rooms available singly or in suites, each with a bath and large closet.

"On the nineteenth floor will be the kitchen and pantries, with all the latest and most modern equipment for cooking and ventilation. Service will be from this floor down to the eighteenth, where there will be both large and small private dining rooms, and up to the twentieth floor, where the main dining room will be located. The private dining rooms have been designed to look like rooms in a Colonial house, simple, intimate and dignified. while the main dining hall will have the appearance of a great room of the same period