CROSS COUNTRY UNDER SHRUBB

Men Have Been Given Light Practice.--Squad Will Walk Today.

Light work has been the rule for the cross-country runners thus far this season. Candidates for the team first reported on Monday, September 21, about 20 men answering Manager Greenough's first call. Coach Donovan directed the early practice.

Alfred Shrubb, the well-known English runner, has again been secured to train the men this fall. He arrived in Cambridge last Thursday and will conduct matters from now on. He has lost two stars in R. St. B. Boyd '14 and F. H. Blackman '14 from last season's squad, but with the prevailing interest at the University in the cross-country game, he should find little difficulty in filling their positions. Two years ago the University team won the intercollegiate championship, while last year Boyd was the individual champion.

As a nucleus for this fall there are several excellent runners, including H. G. MacLure '15, C. Southworth '15, B. V. Zamore '15, E. P. Stone '15 and B. S. Carter '15. The latter was unable to run last season because of probation, but should prove a valuable man this year. From last year's Freshman team such men as R. S. Cook, captain, H. R. Bechtel, H. S. Boyd, and A. R. Bancroft should prove valuable material.

As last year the Belmont course will be used for practice and races. Three meets have been scheduled for the team, the first with Cornell at Ithaca on October 21, the second with Yale at Belmont on November 7, and the last one will be the intercollegiate cross-country run, which is to be held this year at Yale on November 21, the morning of the Harvard-Yale football game.

With only four and one-half weeks left before the opening run with Cornell, the squad is prepared to have a strenuous time reaching the required six miles, and it is expected that with the beginning of the week the distance will be increased daily until the squad is able to cover the required distance. The schedule for today will be a long walk, starting from the Locker Building at 10 o'clock. This will be in the way of a rest for the men for whom a long run at the start is rather tiring.