MANY PRIZES TO STRIVE FOR

Bequests Enable University to offer a Number of Rewards.

Below is printed a partial list of rewards and prizes offered to undergraduates. Each prize has, as a rule, a different set of conditions and requirements, but the incoming men may get an idea of their character from the following list:

DETURS.

Edward Hopkins, born in 1600, was a successful London merchant who came to New England in 1637. He was several times Governor of Connecticut Colony; and on his return to England he was elected to Parliament and appointed Warden of the Fleet under Cromwell. His will expresses his desire "to give some encouragement in those foreign plantations, for the breeding up of hopeful youths, both at the grammar school and college, for the public service of the country in future times'; and his educational bequests to New England are of great importance. Part of the income of one of these bequests is used in the purchase of books called Deturs, for meritorious students in Harvard College.

THE BOYLSTON PRIZES FOR ELOCUTION.

In 1817, Ward Nicholas Boylston, of Boston, made to the University the gift of one thousand dollars, which he invested in an annuity, the income to be applied to prizes for Elocution. The Boylston Prizes for Elocution are awarded to Seniors and Juniors in Harvard College at a public competition on the second Thursday in May. The students speak, not their own compositions, but selections from English, Greek, or Latin authors; the proportion in English is to be at least two out of three.

THE PASTEUR MEDAL.

In 1898 Baron Pierre de Coubertin founded a prize for debating in the form of a medal to be awarded to the successful contestant in an annual debate on a subject drawn from contemporary French politics, the debate to be conducted in English. The administration of the prize is in the hands of the Department of French, which is authorized to call in the aid of other instructors, of students and of graduates, in determining the precise conditions of the competition, and in selecting judges. Due notice will be given of the time of the debate and the rules governing it.

THE DANTE PRIZE.

The Dante Society offers an Annual Prize of one hundred dollars for the best essay by a student in any department of the University, or by a graduate of not more than three years' standing, on a subject drawn from the Life or Works of Dante. The competition is open to students and graduates of similar standing of any college or university in the United States.

THE SARGENT PRIZE.

This prize was first offered in 1886-87 by John Osborne Sargent, of New York, of the Class of 1830, and was endowed in his memory, in 1892, by his daughter, Georgiana W. Sargent. The prize is of one hundred dollars, and is offered for the best material translation of a lyric poem of Horace, to be selected each year by the Department of the Classics.

THE GEORGE B. SOHIER PRIZE.

This prize was founded by the late Waldo Higginson, of Boston, of the Class of 1833, in memory of his brother-in-law, George Brimmer Sohier, of the Class of 1852. The endowment is for "one prize of two hundred and fifty dollars for the best thesis presented by a successful candidate for Honors in English or in Modern Literature. If no thesis is deemed worthy of a prize, no prize will be given." "The competitors may be either:--(1) undergraduates in Harvard College; (2) Harvard graduates who are resident at the University as students in the Graduate School; or (3) students in Radcliffe College."

THE PHILIP WASHBURN PRIZE.

In 1899, Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Washburn gave to the University the sum of two thousand dollars for the establishment of a prize in memory of her son, Philip Washburn, of the Class of 1882. On this foundation an annual prize of seventy-five dollars is offered for the best thesis, of sufficient merit, on an historical subject presented by a successful candidate for the degree of A. B. with Distinction in the Division of History, Government, and Economics, whose main work is in History.

THE SUMMER PRIZE.

An annual prize of one hundred dollars, the gift of Charles Summer, of the Class of 1830, Senator from Massachusetts from 1851 to his death in 1874, is offered for the best dissertation on a subject connected with the topic of Universal peace and the methods by which War may be permanently superseded. This prize is open to any student of the University in any of its departments. But students cannot hope to be successful who have not some knowledge of international law.

THE BENNETT PRIZE.

An annual prize of forty dollars, from a fund established by James Gordon Bennett, of New York, is offered for the best essay in English prose on some subject of American governmental domestic or foreign policy of contemporaneous interest.

This prize is open only to members of the Senior Class of Harvard College and to Special Students in their third or fourth year who have taken courses in Political Science and English Literature.

The Lloyd McKim Garrison Prize consists of $100 and a silver medal for the best poem on a subject chosen by the Department of English.