REGRLTFUL DEATH OF AUTHORITY

Professor Francis Humphreys Storer Was Well-Known Author.

Professor Francis Humphreys Storer, S.B. 1855, died on July 30, at his residence, 476 Boylston street, Boston, after will health prolonged through several years. He was born in Boston on March 27, 1832, the son of Dr. David Humphreys Storer, M.D. 1825, and Abby Jane (Brewer) Storer. He was one of the early students at the Lawrence Scientific School, 1850-51. Next, for two years he was assistant in chemistry to Professor J. P. Cooke. He then served as chemist for the United States North Pacific exploration expedition, and after that service went abroad to continue advanced studies and research 1855-57. He received the degree of Bachelor of Science from Harvard in 1855 (honorary Master of Arts in 1870). After his return from abroad Professor Storer practiced his profession as chemist in Boston for several years, up to 1865, when he was made professor of general and industrial chemistry at the Massachusetts institute of Technology, remaining there until 1870. He then became professor of agricultural chemistry at the Bussey Institution, where he remained until 1907, and after his first year there he became dean of the Institution. He continued there until his resignation from active work. He was a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. As a writer Professor Storer was the author of notable scientific works including 'Dictionary of the Solubilities of Chemical Substances," "Manual of Inorganic Chemistry," "Manual of Quantitative Chemical Analysis," (both in co-operation with Dr. Charles W. Eliot '53), "Agriculture in Some of Its Relations with Chemistry," "Bulletin of Bussey Institution," "Alloys of Copper and Zinc," "Manufacture of Parafine Oils," and other scientific works.