SANITATION COURSE EXPANDED

Government 31 to Treat Many Leading Municipal Questions.

The Faculty has announced an important development of the course in the Administration of Municipal Sanitation, Government 31. Offered last year as a half course, it has been expanded to a full course running throughout the year and will be given on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Friday at 11 o'clock.

The course will not be limited strictly to matters of sanitation, but will include various other municipal functions which relate to the physical well being of the community. To this end the co-operation of various departments of the University has been secured, and lecturers from outside the University, all specialists in their fields, will participate. Each of these special lecturers will have charge of six exercises,--thus being with the students long enough to adequately treat their subjects.

Although the subjects considered are essentially of an engineering character they will be taught for the special benefit of students who do not expect to become professional engineers, but who desire to fit themselves for municipal executive or legislative work and for intelligent citizenship. By means of lectures, recitations, reading of assigned references and the preparation of short papers, the student will be made acquainted with some of the more important sanitary and physical welfare activities of American and European cities.

The course will thus be a supplement to the regular courses in municipal government and will be a preparation for those who desire to pursue some of the subjects in detail in various departments of the University. The course will be open to graduate and undergraduate students. No special preparation is required, but a general knowledge of French and German will prove of assistance to students taking the course.

The subjects taken up in the course will include City Administration and Organization, City Planning, Housing, Fire Prevention and Protection, Public Lighting, Street Paving, Air and Ventilation, Water Supply and Water Purification, Sewerage and Sewage Disposal, etc.