NEW STRUCTURES IN USE TODAY

Music Building Finished.--Heating Tunnel and Bridge Completed.

With the additional construction work of the past summer, the present is auspicious for an examination of the progress made in the building operations of the University. During the past year, approximately $4,500,000 has been set aside for the improvement and enlarging of material equipment, and while results of this expenditure are not all in their final stage, yet there are a considerable number of structures which are ready for use this fall.

The Larz Anderson Bridge, which was used in the late spring, is now fully completed, the painting of the lamp-posts marking the final step in its preparation. The heating tunnel from the power plant on Boylston Street to the Yard has also been finished, and Linden street and Holyoke Place are again open thoroughfares. Weld Hall has undergone alterations which have improved it with more modern conveniences; electric lights, shower baths, and a new plumbing system having been installed. Owing to unavoidable obstacles and delays, the Widener Memorial Library has not been progressing as rapidly as had been hoped for, but it is expected that it will be open for use some time during the present academic year.

On the north side of the Yard, results have proven more immediate. The Music Building is ready for occupancy. This building will hold all the classes in the courses of the Department of Music; the first floor being devoted to recitation work, and the second holding a large auditorium with a seating capacity of 578. It will also contain a library of books dealing with music and all the musical manuscript used by the Department. It is expected that the Music Building will, very appropriately, become the centre of all musical interest in the University, and it is announced that the Pierian Sodality, the University orchestra, will there have its rooms.

The new High Tension Laboratory has been completed in outer construction, but a large amount of interior preparation must be done before it will be ready for use. Of the other operations in this vicinity, there are open the Museum of Ethmology, connecting the Peabody and University Museums; the T. Jefferson Coolidge and the Wolcott Gibbs Memorial Laboratories.