"GRUMBLING JUNIORS."

The perennial complaint of some Juniors against holding the Dance in the Union again reaches our ears. The action of the 1916 Committee, however, in its decision to follow the tradition of using the Union for this occasion is altogether wise and commendable. In theory the Union is the place for the Dance, for it is the social centre of the University. In practice, the Union is the only available place suitable for the Dance, as is apparent from the results of the Committee's investigation.

The whole situation was thoroughly set forth in a CRIMSON editorial that appeared on January 12, 1914: "Brattle Hall is both hopelessly small and hopelessly ugly. An armory would deprive the Dance of its atmosphere, would transfer it into a mere subscription party, nondescript and characterless. A Boston hotel would present unwise and perhaps disastrous extraneous temptations. We recall the class dinners of old. Finally, it is doubtful whether engaging any of these places would decrease expenses.

"The Committee, it seems to us, has made the wisest solution of the difficulty. And one thing that should not be overlooked is that every year the feeling within each committee against the Union is at the outset probably as strong as that of the class which it represents. Yet the yearly inquiry has always resulted in the same decision. The Committee is not being coerced or bulldozed; it acts as it does because it has a problem to solve with the nature of which the class at large is not conversant."