THE UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO.

The past year has brought about a great change in the temper and character of the University of Toronto. Last year, the students were engaged in the usual college activities, dallying with lessons and athletics; now they are engrossed entirely in the war and things military. Three-fourths of the news published in the daily undergraduate paper pertains to the European battlefront and eulogies on peace. A commissioned lieutenant is military editor of the paper. Intercollegiate athletics have been officially abandoned by a decree of the university's athletic directorate. Over one thousand graduates and undergraduates of the University of Toronto are now enlisted with the Allies, and more are continually joining the service as fast as they can obtain the necessary military knowledge.

Careless, carefree students can not grasp in an instant the full significance of war. It took a year for the lesson to strike home to the University of Toronto. Now the students are exhibiting a firm but quiet patriotism of the highest order. War has become real to them and made their response to duty ready. If Harvard were in the same situation it would respond in the same way.