"MISTAKES OF COLLEGE LIFE."

When a student passes from the sheltering portals of a preparatory school to the freer life of a university he is thrown for the first time on his own responsibility. At school his every action is prescribed and regulated by older men and he is carefully shielded from the temptations of the outer world. At college, however, he must choose for himself when to study and when to play, and he must work out his own problems of discipline and conduct.

It is at this period that his plastic mind can best be moulded and his hesitating footsteps pointed in the right direction. It is at this time especially, that he can benefit from competent, kindly advice, and from the experience of others who have been over the same path.

Realizing the value of pointing out some of the dangers which may be avoided and the mistakes which are only too often due to ignorance, several graduates of the University have prepared a pamphlet, which is being mailed to all Freshmen today, containing among other articles extracts from Dean Briggs' "Routine and Ideals." To read this article is like having an interview with Dean Briggs himself. His sympathetic knowledge of a student's problems gained from a genuine warm-hearted interest in his welfare gains at once the confidence of the reader and imparts a special significance to his words. Parents as well as students will find the article instructive as it brings out the interdependence of the one on the other.