SLIPPERY FIELD IMPEDED ELEVEN

First and Seconds Had Hard Scrimmage in Spite of Weather.

A wet, slippery field, and a dark, heavy mist over the Stadium came along yesterday to add to the present difficulties of the University football team.

The coaches made the best of the unfavorable conditions by giving the men a long talk in the Locker Building and a half-hour's signal drill in the Cage, but dissatisfied with the showing being made lately, Coach Haughton wound up the afternoon's work by staging a hard scrimmage on the field. The play was impeded by the thick mist and wet turf, but before it was stopped at 5 o'clock by utter darkness, every man was sent in to take part. No scoring was made, for the University team could not make consistent progress through the seconds' line, this being the only safe method of attack on the slippery field. The lack of concerted action on the part of the linemen was very noticeable, but this can be excused largely by the conditions under which they were playing.

T. H. Enwright '18 ran through signals with the team in the Cage, but was not trusted on the treacherous turf in the field. His injured ankle seems very slow in healing, and it is feared that an early return to the game would seriously endanger his final availability to the eleven.

The University's first line-up against the seconds was as follows: Harte, l.e.; R. C. Curtis, l.t.; Cowen, l.g.; Taylor, c.; Dadmun, r.g.; Gilman, r.t.; Soucy, r.e.; Willcox, q.; Whitney; l.h.b.; King, r.h.b.; Mahan, f.b.