HONOR FRESHMEN.

The list of men who passed their entrance examinations with distinction is printed in the CRIMSON this morning; and it resurrects from oblivion achievement that is well worth being recorded. Formerly there was no incentive except conscience to spur a candidate on to do more than merely pass his examinations. An exceptionally good book relieved for the instructor the monotony of the reading, but brought little recognition for the writer. Now, by means of this list and the Phi Beta Kappa trophy, the spur of an honor, which is not hid under a bushel lends interest even to the ordeal of entrance examinations.

Those who delight in comparisons will find little to choose between private and preparatory school records in the list. St. Mark's and the Central High School of Springfield are practically tied for first place; and throughout honors are about evenly divided between the two kinds of schools. The Springfield school has been awarded the Phi Beta Kappa trophy; but others, notably St. Mark's are very close, and effort will have to be made to retain it. It is highly desirable that schools which have made a good showing should conscientiously "go out" to win the trophy next year. In this way, only, it will serve its purpose, and create interscholastic competition in scholarship.

To the men of 1919 who have won places in the two groups congratulations are due. They have given some evidence of the kind of ability which the University needs most to encourage. At the same time a warning is in order. The test they have passed is only preliminary. The work of scholarship in a university is of a different, more exacting, and at the same time more interesting sort than that of a preparatory school. And ability to cram for entrance examinations and pass them is no proof of the vision and depth which is needed for scholarship of the higher sort. These men have given some indication that they possess the power of application. That application plus penetration and an unquenchable intellectual curiosity and honesty will be needed to bring scholarly honors in College. It is dangerous to rest on one's laurels.