LET JOY BE UNCONFIN'D.

The Cornell Sun, in its post-victoriam number, reprints under the heading "True Cornell Spirit" a paragraph from the New York Tribune commending the manner in which the Cornell supporters received the news of their victory. "In place of the wild dash to the gridiron and the rollicking snake dance, the Cornell men stood in their places and sang their college hymn. Then they hurried across the field, and, grouping before the Harvard section, cheered for Harvard." While of course Cornell's display of the victor's courtesy was in order and is appreciated, the fallacy in the Tribune's remark as regards the restraint shown in celebrating deserves notice.

"The wild dash for the gridiron and the rollicking snake dance" are spoken of as if such exuberance were obviously unsportsmanlike, as if there were something mean in thus "rubbing it in." On the contrary, it is a legitimate effervescence of the joy of victory. The defeated not only expect it, but they feel disappointed if the subtle compliment be omitted. "Is the query. Doubtless more than one Harvard undergraduate,-- and at least one,--was obliged to apologise to his companion last Saturday when the expected serpentine failed to materialize.

As for us, be it known that if victory over Princeton and Yale crowns our standards, we will troop upon the field and indulge in a good, old-fashioned gloat. And if, on the other hand, confusion on our banners wait, we sincerely hope and confidently expect that our conquerors will themselves provide the accustomed spectacle.