MANY SHOWED INTEREST IN SOCIAL SERVICE

Large Gathering of University Men Heard Workers Tell of Need for Service.

One hundred and seventy-five men attended the social service conference in the Phillips Brooks House last night. W. Willcox, Jr., '17, chairman of the Social Service Committee presided. The principal speaker of the evening was Mr. G. W. Coleman, president of the Boston City Council and director of the Ford Hall meetings, who spoke on "The Need for Social Service." Mr. Coleman has been connected with social service activities for over ten years. He said that there are enormous social problems that must be solved within the next generation if they are to be solved at all; and they can only be solved through contributions from many different classes of men viewed from many different angles. "We are standing upon the threshold of a new order; of that period in the history of the world when men are ready to cast aside old ideas like old machinery. This is a period of great changes; there is a question mark against absolutely every line of thought and activity. The idea of democracy in this country came into existence about one hundred years ago, and we are just beginning to realize that if democracy is to amount to anything it must be carried into every branch of life. This is why the question of social service is so prominent."

Professor F. W. Taussig '79, speaking on "Social Questions and Social Service" emphasized the value to the worker of any from of social service. "Everything you do," he said, "contributes to the development of the future, and to the development of yourselves."

R. T. Twitchell '16 argued for the service from the standpoint of interest, and laid stress upon the benefits derived by the instructor in any social service class. S. B. Pennock 1G. told of his experiences with boys' clubs, and explained the actual work required at the clubs. W. I. Tibbetts '17, secretary of the committee, outlined on the blackboard the opportunities for work in Cambridge and Boston.