WHERE THE LECTURE SYSTEM FAILS.

Nothing in higher education is more important than the efficient use of the lecture hour. It is then that a large group of men, presumably interested in one subject, are brought together in a gathering which offers great intellectual possibilities. Under the lecture system which dominates American colleges, however, this hour usually resolves itself into a more or less dry text-book chapter. In many cases the lecturer merely enlarges upon the reading assigned; and in others the matter which he delivers could be incorporated into a text-book with a positive gain to clearness and cogency.

The reason for the somber, unprofitable atmosphere of the lecture room lies in the fact that there is no "give and take" between the minds of professor and students. The former occupies an aloof, oracular position, delivering himself to a non-receptive audience of the ideas he has worked out alone or the facts he has collected. The latter listen without enthusiasm and dully set down in notes what they think they hear. In those cases where the lecturer, through his personality or power of popularizing, arouses unusual interest, a theatrical burst of applause betrays the peculiar attitude engendered by the platform lecture.

An extension of the method of discussion is greatly needed. Certain advanced courses, particularly in theoretical subjects, are given most successfully in this manner. In the extreme form the instructor becomes little more than a moderator, presiding over, guiding, and pointing the discussion. Sometimes the instructor freely states his ideas, and defends and explains them. This is probably the method best suited to undergraduate courses. It provides for the introduction of the lecturer's views as grist for the student's thought, thus combining lecture with discussion. The reaction from the minds of the students aids the lecturer in making himself clear; and should be as stimulating to him as the clash of minds is to the student.

Many very theoretical courses, however, are still conducted by the lecture method. Even advanced courses, in philosophy and economics, for example, are given in this manner. As a system it is clumsy and wasteful; as it is a fetich in education which should be superseded as quickly as possible by more intelligent methods.