THE HARVARD CRIMSON.

This issue of the CRIMSON, the first to be published from its new quarters on Plympton street, marks one of the greatest forward strides in the development of the publication. The CRIMSON, then under the name of the MAGENTA, was founded as a fortalghtly in 1878. Two years later, when the college colors were changed from magenta to crimson, the paper assumed its present name. In 1882, after an attempted consolidation with the ADVOCATE had fallen through, the CRIMSON became an eight-page weekly, instead of a twelve-page fortnightly. A year later a union was effected with the HERALD, a daily publication, and for one year there appeared a daily, called the HERALD-CRIMSON, after which the title of DAILY CRIMSON was adopted.

Up to this time the paper had been printed in an old wooden building at Central square, but in 1884 the office was moved to a house on Brattle street, where it remained for two years. Thereafter, for three years, the office was situated in the Lyceum Building, until, in 1889, new quarters were occupied in Hilton's Block, on the corner of Linden street and Massachusetts avenue. In 1891 the name was again changed to THE HARVARD CRIMSON, the present title of the paper. The years 1894 and 1895 were marked by a brief but fiery struggle with the HARVARD DAILY NEWS, in which the latter finally succumbed.

In 1900 the question of new premises again became urgent, and two plans were considered, the one involving a purchase of Quincy Hall, the other being to take up quarters in the new Union Building. The latter plan was deemed the more feasible and adopted in 1901.

Last year the building-fund had attained such dimensions that the long-desired CRIMSON Building became an actual possibility. Work was begun last spring and has progressed with extraordinary rapidity until now the building is practically complete. With the occupation of this permanent home of its own, the migratory days of the CRIMSON are over, and all its future energy can be directed toward internal improvement.