PRINCETON FOOTBALL PROSPECTS

Eight Men Who Started Harvard Game to Return Next Year

For the season of 1916 Princeton will have as fine a selection of material as has ever been available for its football eleven in years. Ten letter men will be lost by graduation: Bamman, H. Brown, Butterworth, Captain Glick, Heyniger, Lamberton, Larsen, Law, Love and Shea. Five of these men have played on the team for three successive years, namely, Brown, Glick, Lamberton, Law, and Shea, and the experience of these men will, of course, be greatly missed. However, since eight regulars return, there will be men fully capable of stepping into these positions, many of whom have had training in the big games.

Undoubtedly the greatest loss will be that of Glick at quarterback. This year there was no reliable second-string man to take his place in case of injury, and it does not look as though 1919 would produce anyone suitable for the position as a regular. Ames 1917 and Blake 1918 were the two best substitutes this season, but neither showed himself capable of consistently good judgment in tight places. If Eberstadt 1917 is able to play, the situation will be cleared considerably, as he gave promise of making a good quarter from his play in freshman and sophomore years.

Driggs and Tibbott 1917 still have another year and should be better rounded after this year's experience in both kicking and running with the ball. Dickerman, Moore, and Eddy, all 1917, have proved their worth as substitutes in the backfield, and if A. Brown 1917 is eligible he will make a strong bid for a position here. He is considered by the coaches to have as much natural ability as any back on the squad. Thomas 1918 came up rapidly as a line-plunger late in the season, and if he continues to improve may make things interesting for some of the regulars.

For Lamberton's place at end there will be a number of candidates all more or less in the making with the possible exception of Wilson 1918, who has a keen sense of following the ball. Highley 1917 has been playing left end on the first team for two years now, and is almost sure to retain his position. Rahall 1917 may find himself next season, and if Haas 1917 is not used in the backfield he will be a good fast man for the wing position.

At the tackles Parisette and Halsey 1918 will be fighting it out again, and McLean 1917 will be the logical men at the other side of the line. Latrobe 1917, Kaufmann 1918 and Kirkland of this year's freshman eleven will furnish further competition.

There is not much new material for the guards, but fortunately Hogg and Nourse, both 1917, will return to take their old places. These two men formed the backbone of the Princeton defence this season. Finney was the best guard the freshman had this year, with the exception of Funk, who moved to this position only a couple of days before the Yale game.

Funk, who captained the freshmen this fall, is the best man who will come up to the university squad. Centre is his regular position, and he may push Gennert some to retain his place. Gowen and Semmens 1917 will be able, substitutes. Semmens is considered by many to be the best centre in college. He played on the 1913 team, was ineligible the following year, and during the past season was handicapped by an injury which kept him out of the game most of the time.