FOOTBALL AND THE SOUL

"The soul of a college is football....The soul of Cornell has overcome the soul of Harvard, the soul of Princeton the soul of Dartmouth...Saturday, on Princeton sands, President Lowell's undecimal system will set its iron heel. Is the Nassovian or the Cantabrigian soul the mightier? The greatness of colleges is to be tested. The college soul is to be made visible."--New York Times.

The New York Times is right--as far as it goes. Tomorrow Harvard's soul will be football and it will be tested. Football will prevail not alone on the Princeton gridiron, but here in Cambridge, and in the numerous Harvard clubs all over the country.

Because football is dominant for one day, however is no evidence that it is the single constituent of the college soul. There are hundreds of other days when the pursuit of knowledge is engrossing the minds of all. The soul of a college is a complex thing embodying innumerable diverse elements. The class-room, the athletic field, lectures, concerts, fellowship, all contribute their quota. The soul can no more be judged from its manifestations of a single day than can a defendant in a law suit from the adverse testimony alone. Tomorrow Harvard's soul will be football. It is right. There is a time for everything.

Communications to the CRIMSON must be signed with the writer's real name. A bona fide signature carries much more weight than a fictitious one. In certain cases, the signatur4e will not be published but the CRIMSON prefers to print only signed articles.

Too much spirit cannot be displayed at the game in Princeton tomorrow--but there is danger in New York.