GEN. WOOD APPROVES PLAN OF VOLUNTEER BATTALION

TWO DELEGATES TO CONFER WITH HIM SATURDAY.--MEN MAY ENLIST NOW.

General Leonard Wood, M'84, chief-of-staff of the United States army, stated yesterday, when interviewed by telephone by members of the Military Preparedness Committee of the University, that he would endeavor to have a special officer detailed to drill the University battalion and to have the men's equipment supplied by the War Department, provided 400 men should sign up for the proposed Harvard Volunteer Battalion before Friday night at 6 o'clock. The committee has consequently placed blue-books in Leavitt & Peirce's, the Union, Memorial Hall, and the Freshman Dormitories in which men may enlist.

Two delegates will be sent to New York Saturday to confer further with General Wood and report the enthusiasm of the University in the matter as evidenced by the number of men who have enrolled by that time. The committee will hold a meeting tomorrow night to discuss the practical problems of the plan and to instruct the delegates who will consult General Wood.