WINTER PLANS ANNOUNCED FOR VARIOUS ATHLETIC ACTIVITIES

Hockey Candidates will be Called Out Friday.--Spring Rowing to begin After Midyears.

For the benefit of readers who have not as yet taken up any sport for the winter, the Crimson prints the following digest of plans.

Hockey.

Candidates for the University hockey team will be called out Friday. The work at first will consist of conditioning runs and shooting practice in the Gymnasium. Regular practice will begin with the opening of the Arena on December 10.

Freshman hockey candidates will be called out about a week later than the University squad. Their practice will consist of drill in the rudiments of the game until the ice rinks in the Stadium are ready for use. This will probably be directly after the Christmas recess. The Freshman squad will remain as a unit until after Christmas, when a first and a second squad will be chosen. The three dormitory teams will be picked from the latter squad and will engage in the regular series for the inter-dormitory championship.

Track.

As long as the present weather lasts, Coach Clark will be at Soldiers Field every afternoon from 2.30 to 4.30 o'clock to coach candidates for the hammer-throw. As the team is particularly weak in this department, more candidates, particularly football men, are wanted.

As soon as the cold weather comes, handicap competition in field events will be held regularly on Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout the winter. Prizes will be awarded in each event to the three men who have the highest averages at the end of the season. Opportunity to enter a number of indoor meets will be afforded candidates, and a team will be entered in the B. A. A. meet in February. Voluntary work for track men will begin as soon as the board track is erected, and candidates for the relay team will be called out as soon as possible. All candidates for the Freshman and University track teams are expected to take part in this winter work.

Crew.

Regular practice will begin the Monday after midyears and will consist of work on the machines and in the tank, until the river is open. Coaches Herrick and Haines, who have supervised the work this fall, will, of course, be in charge of the spring practice.

Baseball.

Practice for both University and Freshman battery candidates will begin soon after midyears and will be held in the Cage until the weather permits outdoor practice. The fielders will be called out in the early part of March and will work in the Cage as long as the cold weather lasts.

Fencing.

The Fencing squad is practicing regularly in the fencing room of the Gymnasium on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons from 4 to 6 o'clock, under the direction of Coach Leslabay and S. F. Damon '14. Not enough men have as yet come out, and additional candidates, particularly Freshmen and Sophomores, should report at any of the above times.

Gymnastic Squad.

The gymnastic squad is practicing daily under the direction of Captain W. Campbell '16 and F. W. Maroney, the new coach. There will be a meet for novices on December 18, which will reward those men who have been working all the fall. There will be five exhibitions during January and February, the first real meet coming on March 4 when the University team will engage in a triangular contest with Dartmouth and Technology. The Intercollegiate meet will take place on March 25.

Swimming and Water Polo.

The first meeting of candidates for the University and Freshman swimming teams and the University water polo team will be held in Matthews 5 tonight at 7 o'clock. Practice will start Monday in the Cambridge Y. M. C. A. tank. This year's schedule includes for the first time in three years a meet with Yale.

Wrestling.

Captain A. J. Weatherhead '16 and Coach Anderson are supervising the wrestling practice which takes place daily in the Gymnasium. The schedule includes trips to Brown and Princeton and meets with Andover, Technology, and Yale.