ALUMNI PROMINENT IN WAR FIELD

Dispatches to Graduates' Magazine Tel. of Work Done at Front.

An interesting account of the part played by alumni in the war appears in the December number of the Graduates' Magazine. Extracts from the article are given below:

"C. R. Cross, Jr., '03, and Russell Greeley '01 were both seriously injured in a motor accident while engaged in hospital relief work in Northern France. As a result of the accident, Cross soon died in a military hospital.

"In the violent fighting in the Champagne district many of the companies of the famous French Foreign Legion were almost annihilated. Among the Americans unaccounted for and perhaps killed, as few prisoners were taken, was Alan Seeger '10. Seeger had been living in Paris for the last two or three years and felt that it was his duty to volunteer in the French army.

"F. T. Colby '02, who has been doing admirable independent work with his ambulance squad, has been appointed a lieutenant in the Belgian army.

"Dr. D. P. Penhallow '02 has been appointed chief surgeon and head of the American War Hospital at Paignton, England. This hospital has a conspicuously good record, as it has lost only five out of 1903 patients. F. A. Coller, M.D., '13, is the assistant surgeon.

"A. D. Muir, g '12-15, has been appointed a second lieutenant in the Black Watch, the oldest of the Scottish Highland regiments.

"Norman Prince '08, who is in the aviation of the French army, has twice been cited in dispatches. On the second occasion it was for bringing down single banded an enemy battle-plane. It was reported at one time that Prince had been taken prisoner by the Germans, but this was later denied."