PRESIDENTS FAVOR CAMPS

Committee From Different Universities to Send Report to All Colleges in United States.

In an effort to get the greatest representation possible at the summer military instruction camps next year, the advisory committee of University Presidents is sending a report of the work of these institutions to all universities and colleges in the United States. The committee is as follows: J. G. Hibben, Princeton (chairman); President Lowell; A. T. Hadley, Yale; E. W. Nichols, Virginia Military Institute; J. H. Kirkland, Vanderbilt; H. Garfield, Williams; H. S. Drinker, Lehigh (secretary). The report reads as follows:

"These camps have now been in operation for three successive summers. In their growth and admirable management during the past two summers of 1914 and 1915, they have more than fulfilled the expectations of those endorsing them, based on the first year's experience in the summer of 1913. The camps of 1913 and 1914 were, held before the breaking out of the great war abroad, which has brought into greater prominence than before their value to the nation.

Camps Useful Educationally.

"We repeat the hearty endorsement given in our reports on the camps held in 1913 and 1914. This year they were visited by a number of the members of our committee, and the committee as a whole has given attention and thought to their educational usefulness in the summer season.

"The students attending are under careful oversight. The excellence of food, sanitation, and medical care has been well maintained. The students have an ideal five weeks' outing, pleasurable and beneficial to them; and the instruction, drill, cavalry exercises, field manoeuvres, field surveying and field work generally, give them in the continuous five weeks training an insight into military matters. They are, in addition to this regular work, given ample time for recreation and rest.

Of Mental and Physical Benefit.

"We commend the camps to the authorities and students of the universities and colleges of the country. We believe that the training and instruction which students attending receive not only emphasize the dangers and losses of wars lightly and unpreparedly entered into but we also believe that the training given is excellent and a great benefit, mental and physical, to the students attending."