NORMAN ANGELL TO LECTURE

PACIFIST TO DISCUSS AMERICA'S CONNECTION WITH EUROPEAN CONFLICT.

Norman Angell, a pacifist and journalist of wide experience in matters of diplomacy, will speak on "America and the European Settlement" in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8 o'clock.

Shortly before the outbreak of the present European war, Mr. Angell published a booklet which is of great significance now, as it treats of international conciliation. In regard to peace and its accompanying attributes, Mr. Angell writes: "What I have to urge upon your attention is not the desirability of peace in the sense of the cessation of combat, still less, of a cosmopolitanism which asks that you shall, in obedience to some abstract ideal of instinctive or intuitive origin, sacrifice national preferences and characteristics, or even prejudices. Indeed, I am not urging any cut-and-dried political doctrine or dogma at all. What I want to urge is the open-minded consideration of certain facts and occurrences, the significance of which is for the most part ignored, although they must profoundly affect principles of action between men that cover the whole field of human society, affect to some extent the form and character of our social structure; which have a very practical bearing upon prevailing misconceptions in morals, legislation, jurisprudence, economics, law, and the interpretation of history."

In another extract Mr. Angell gives attention to War. "What is the problem of War?" he writes. "Why do nations give their first care to the preparedness for it? To defend themselves. But that means that someone believes in attack; otherwise, if no one believed in the effectiveness of successful attack, none of us would be threatened, and the whole problem would be solved."