PREPAREDNESS MOVEMENT SPREADING IN COLLEGES

Yale and Penn. State Have Voluntary Companies and Others Have Military Courses.

The movement for preparedness has gained great impetus in universities throughout the country and the present steps to establish a Harvard voluntary battalion seems only to be a reflection of what is being done in higher institutions of learning all over the country.

A battery of about 500 men was recruited at Yale early in October under the supervision of Major-General Leonard Wood, M.D. '84. The company is a heavy field artillery battery and includes both undergraduates and members of the graduates schools.

At Dartmouth a course in military science will be instituted as soon as sanction is granted by the administrative board. A delegation of undergraduates was recently sent to the War Department at Washington. Secretary of War Garrison and the other authorities interviewed were enthusiastic over the plans and made but two stipulations to the delegation: the faculty must recognize the course and must provide a place for winter drill and lecture room; and 150 students must register for the course. If these requirements are met a commissioned officer and possibly a non-commissioned officer will be sent to Hanover to take absolute charge of the work.

Military Course at Bowdoin.

Bowdoin College started military drill and a course in tactics this week after an lapse of over 40 years without any courses in military science. The drill will be compulsory and while neither guns nor uniforms are at present available, infantry drill will be practiced three times a week.

Pennsylvania State College has a well-uniformed battalion under the charge of a commissioned officer. The battalion has the regular army outfit of cap, leggins, coat, and breeches, and thereby the students will be afforded the opportunity of receiving more extensive training in military science.

After considering the recommendation of the university senate that compulsory military training be inaugurated at the University of Michigan, the board of regents has postponed action until its January meeting. A committee of three members was appointed to study the question further and at present there seems little doubt but that training in military science will be inaugurated by spring.

Two colleges in Massachusetts have today organized courses in military science under the supervision of army commissioned officers. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology has compulsory drill for freshmen, while upper-class men act as officers in the regiment. Massachusetts Agricultural College has compulsory drill for all undergraduates and several battalions drill in the large gymnasium all winter.