ON FREE SPEECH.

The CRIMSON has received a letter signed "A Freshman" which severely criticizes the morale of Boston dances. While the intention of the writer is undoubtedly serious, the letter is not published. The fact that it is not may serve to bring out several points with reference to the communication column.

The CRIMSON desires to foster in its pages as much free discussion of University problems as possible. It is not deired to throttle anyone who believes that he has something significant to unload for public benefit; yet there are some limits which must be prescribed, not so much through policy as through common sense.

The first thing which students are asked to remember is that the circulation of printed letters does not always stop with the CRIMSON; that words in any way colored are almost sure to find quick publication in newspapers elsewhere. The nasty side of a question is presented to avid readers in Chicago, Barnsville, and Kokomo,--with never a word on the true merits of the case. The news is warped in transit until the middle-westerner believes Harvard a hot-bed of immorality and a nursery of vice. The first thing, then, is to couch your arguments in temperate terms; the next, to make them thoughtful, not hasty. The man who loses his temper over affairs in Cambridge is the man who unjustly drags down the University in public estimation.

Again, there are certain subjects which might be argued in the CRIMSON 'till the crack of doom,--with no results. Some of our correspondents might far better appeal to the police, to the Watch and Ward Society, or to the Mothers' League. We ask that the problems discussed concern institutions of the University, and not general conditions which even the state legislature cannot remedy.

Finally, to insure good-faith on the part of correspondents, all communications must be signed. If desired, the writer's name need not appear in print, and will remain a closely-guarded secret. However, it is only fair that a man who desires a public hearing should be willing to stand back of his opinions. Under the conditions, the CRIMSON will be only too glad to conduct public arguments.