WAR MUST BE SHOWN FUTILE

FORMER AMBASSADOR TO GERMANY GAVE OPINION ON MIL ITARISM.

Not until there has been a demonstration of the futility of aggressive war as a means of national advancement will the prevalent system of militarism come to an end, is the opinion of Mr. David Jayne Hill, former ambassador to Germany, who spoke on "Phases of International Relations", in the Union last night.

The speaker traced the course of the two ordinary occupations of a state, that of trade and that of war. Industrilaism has trimphed within states, but between states warfare has been the means by which nations have grown in wealth and power. The state in power has no ideas of responsibility to the others until a more powerful one conquers it. Just as long as there is this strong, predatory nation in power, the militarist basis must exist, but, contrary to the idea of many, the whole system, not one nation alone, should be put under indictment. In view of this existing condition, it is the duty of every state to continue to prepare for its defense.

Mr. Hill reviewed the chief incidents leading up to the present war, and pointed out the difference between the results then and in 1878. Then, Bismarck, through the Congress of Berlin, prevented a general European struggle. But last summer, despite the protestations for peace of all the nations involved, arbitration was ignorred in the simplest form of dispute, that of minor importance between two countries.