FOUR CLUBS IN FINAL ROUND

Kent, Marshall, Moody and Westengard Survive Preliminaries in Competition for Ames Prize.

As a result of the qualifying round, which has just closed, four of the Law School clubs remain to fight it out for the Ames Prize in the final rounds next year. These are the Kent, Marshall, Moody, and Westengard clubs. No more cases will be presented until next fall when these surviving clubs will meet each other to decide the final outcome.

Under the new regulations, in force for the first time this year, all second-year men were divided into clubs of eight each, six of whom represented their clubs before the "court." At each argument two representatives of one club faced two from another, judges deciding upon the winner. In this way, each club took part in six arguments. To determine the clubs which should survive the qualifying round, all the organizations were divided into groups according to their respective percentages of arguments won and lost. If the highest group contained four or more clubs, all in that group only were to enter the final rounds. To the club coming out ahead next fall, a prize of $200 and a set of books will be given, while the second best club will receive $100 and a set of books.

Twenty clubs entered the competition, which started the latter part of October. This number was gradually lowered to 14, through the withdrawal and default of several clubs. The four winning clubs were each victorious in five out of six of their arguments. The Kent Club defeated the Smith, Cooley, Warren, Pow-Wow, and Wyman Clubs, losing only to the George-Gray Club. The Marshall Club secured its victories over the George-Gray, Parson, Thayer Ames-Gray, and Moody Clubs. While it lost to the Pow-Wow's. The five victims of the Moody Club were the Parson, George-Gray, Westengard, Ames-Gray, and Pow-Wow Clubs, and its only victor was the Marshall Club. The fourth of the survivors, the Westengard Club, lost to the Moody Club but defeated the Cooley, Ames-Gray, Langdell, Pow-Wow, and Lowell Clubs.

Of the remaining teams, the Bryce, Lowell, and Warren Clubs stood second to the victors with two-thirds of their cases won. In the next group came the Beale, Cooley, George-Gray, and Wyman Clubs with three victories and as many defeats. The Pow-Wow's won two and the Ames-Gray and Parson Clubs one each.

On the whole the new scheme has been a distinct success, for more men have competed than previously. Next year an even larger number will take part in it, for while the four surviving clubs are competing, the second-year men will be engaged in a new qualifying round.