RESTRICTING CHOICE OF COURSES

This is the open season for choosing courses. Naturally every individual approaches the matter from a different view-point. One man will take a course because he needs it for his distribution or concentration; another because his room-mate made B in it last year; another because it comes at a convenient time; and, of course, many who are seriously interested in the work of that particular course.

But in some cases they will find barriers to a free choice. In Economics 1b, for example, a practical course in accounting which many men want, some men are being denied admission because they have not attained honor grades in previous economics courses. As this course is primarily for graduates and undergraduates, this seems like an unwise restriction. One of the most valuable courses in College to a man who is going into business should not be closed to him because he did not make "B" or better in Economics A.

Undoubtedly there is some good reason for restricting this and other courses, but it is only fair that a full statement of these restrictions should be made in the catalogue, or publicly announced in some other way.