TRACK PROSPECTS ARE GOOD

Indoor Work of Winter Predicts Favorable Spring Season.--Middle Distances Strongest.

The showing of the University track team in the meet Saturday was very creditable and gives promise of a strong team this spring. Regular track work will begin after a brief respite from the winter season.

The team this year should be strongest in the middle distances. In the 440 it will have W. Willcox, Jr., '17, T. R. Pennypacker '16, H. Minot '17, and A. O. Phinney '17, all of whom have shown up well this winter. W. J. Bingham '16 may run in the half-mile event, in which he will be supported by W. W. Kent '16 and J. W. Feeney '17. Another probable shift will be placing Captain Capper in the mile. Last year he had an excellent record in the half-mile event, but his services may be needed more in the longer distance. R. S. Cook '17 and R. H. Davison '17 are the other milers. The two-mile event will have C. Southworth '15, W. J. Hever '17, A. R. Bancroft '17, H. R. Bechtel '16, and other members of the cross-country team.

The mainstay of the dashes will be E. A. Teschner '17, who was very successful last year. J. R. Foley '15 and B. Z. Nelson '15 in the 100, and W. Wilcox, Jr., '17 and R. Tower '15 in the 220, are nevertheless good performers. W. A. Meanix '17 has shown much ability as a hurdler. He will be supported by H. St.J. Smith '15.

In the field events the University will depend on J. O. Johnstone '16, J. B. Camp '15, and H. Sturgis '15. Johnstone and Camp are both good high jumpers; the former is also a good broad-jumper, and the latter excellent at the pole-vault. G. G. Haydock '16, who took second place in the winter intercollegiates, should place in the pole-vault. H. Sturgis '15, a hammer thrower, took second last year against Cornell.

Such a team, under the direction of Powers and "Pooch" Donovan. should develop into a consistent winning aggregation.