NEW GATE FOR YARD BEGUN

STRUCTURE IN MEMORY OF THOMAS DUDLEY.--CLOCK TOWER ATTACHED.

Work on the new Dudley Memorial Gate has been begun within the last few days. The structure is the gift of the late Miss Caroline Phelps Stokes who bequeathed to her nephew, Mr. I. N. Phelps Stokes, the architect, a sum of money to be expended in erecting at Harvard a memorial to her ancestor, Governor Thomas Dudley of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

As first planned the memorial was to be simply a clock tower. It was at the suggestion of President Lowell that the plan was modified so as to make this tower a part of a large gateway. This with its ample wings fills the last and one of the most important gaps in the Harvard fence.

The gate will stand on the line of Quincy street between the president's house and the old Peabody house. The iron and brick fence of the structure will continue from the south end of the structure to the corner of the Yard. The other end will extend to the edge of the president's driveway. The structure is recessed back from Quincy street with an arched passageway for pedestrians on each side of the great centre gate. On the inner or yard side the gate will be flanked by semi-circular brick walls about four feet high, the quadrant of each curve nearest the gate containing a stone bench.

Built of brick and limestone the new gate will conform both in the material and general style to that established by Mr. McKim for the whole college fence from the pioneer Johnston Gate. The style of the tower might properly be called Georgian or Colonial. On the Yard face of the clock will be a large relief of Governor Dudley against a back-ground of colonial street and houses. The relief will be cut in American Travertine stone of the same color as the limestone used for the trimmings and ornaments of the Gate. The tower will be thrity-six feet high and eight feet square at the base. The inscription will be on a tablet set in the Quincy street face of the tower.

Inside the gate there will be a circular courtyard from which the main drive way will lead up to the president's house. A brick walk will continue down to the new Widener Library.