Voting at the Forum.

Communication

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I beg to answer two statements printed in the Boston Herald for March 5, the first appearing near the beginning of an article occupying column six of page one, and the second at the end of this article on page six column seven, both in prominent places, namely at the beginning and the end. The first statement was, "A secret and mysterious checking-up of ballots, somewhere in the recesses of the Union, resulted in the announcement by R. T. L. Jeffries . . . . . that the score stood 75 to 75." The second statement was, "There were those present who were skeptical of the announced result of the debate."

I wish to say that the vote was counted in the Office of the CRIMSON, because an accurate count might not be assured with a hundred gentlemen clamoring around the chair. This count was made by designated counters, one from the Union, and one from the Speakers' Club not by the chairman; but, had the chairman been prejudiced, he could have broken the tie by his own vote.

The chairman did not announce the vote; but, instead, stated that it would be announced by the CRIMSON. The chairman hoped thus to prevent inaccurate information injurious to Harvard from appearing in the Press.  J. T. L. JEFFRIES '15.