THE PHILLIPS BROOKS HOUSE REPORTS.

As the retiring president of Phillips Brooks House, W. H. Trumbull, Jr., '15 speaks of the growing appreciation of the House among the students. This statement is merely the crystallization of a sentiment which every undergraduate must have felt. The active member of Phillips Brooks House--once classed either as a fanatic or a hypocrite--is now recognized as a serious and efficient worker. A perusal of the reports printed in this morning's CRIMSON is sufficient to indicate what two forces have been at work to accomplish this change.

The most prominent of these two forces lies in the breadth of scope shown by the work of Phillips Brooks House. Whatever falls naturally upon the shoulders of no one, it has assumed as its own burden. From finding roommates for Freshmen, to determining the cost of living for graduates; from encouraging attendance at chapel, to organizing boys' clubs; it has sought primarily to be of service. Thus, in one way or another, it has reached every member of the University and has compelled him to admit its usefulness.

The other great force is found in the seriousness with which the officers and members take their work. Their reports are not merely records of annual proceedings. They are rather the confessions of faith of the writers. They stand as their ideas for future work; and they evince a zeal and a seriousness of purpose which are too often lacking in a college institution.

By these two forces Phillips Brooks House has made and filled its place in the University. Their continuance is essential to its future success.