THE SUMMER SCHOOL.

Few of those who so urgently desire the founding of a State University, stop to consider the work already being done in this field by such an institution as the Harvard Summer School. Those who talk about the futility of university extension, have given little attention to the work of this organization. As an instance, the enrollment of the Summer School last summer was 906, as compared with 798 of the year before, and 506 of these come under the heading of "Students from Outside in General Courses." Of these, 346 were teachers and school officers, from colleges and schools throughout the country. From these figures it is apparent that the advantages offered by the Summer School are made use of widely, and by a different type of student than those who attend the regular courses. They are unable to attend the regular session, usually because they are teachers. It is the aim of university extension wok to reach such a class, and the Summer School carries out this work thoroughly and efficiently.

Some undergraduates, of course, avail themselves of this opportunity to make up back work, but the primary intention of the School is not to aid them. The great usefulness of the School lies in the influence which it gives the University over the ideals and methods of teaching in the various schools and colleges. Such a large influx of teachers every year naturally results in a wide distribution of Harvard's reputation and influence throughout the country.