STRING OF VICTORIES FOR YALE

Well-Balanced Pitching Staff and Good Batting Factors in Success.

The Yale baseball team has been very successful the past ten days, beating Columbia 8 to 2 on Wednesday, April 21; Brown 3 to 2, last Saturday, and Georgetown, 3 to 2 on Wednesday. This was Brown's first defeat of the season, due largely to Yale's making the most of its opportunities. Way pitched splendid ball after the first inning, when Babington's home run with a man on base gave Brown its only runs of the game.

In the game against Columbia, Watrous, who pitched the whole game, was hit frequently, but he showed masterful pitching when men were on bases. Pumpelly, who has been out of the game with an injured hand, pitched his first game of the year against Georgetown, Wednesday. Barring occasional wildness, he was in good form, allowing only seven hits and striking out six batters.

Among the pitchers Way must do the bulk of the work of the right handers until Pumpelly's hand is entirely healed, while Watrous and Underwood are the two left-handers of a well-balanced pitching staff. In the field Milburn and LeGore are performing excellently. Vaughn, who has been out of the game with a sprained ankle, is improving steadily, Easton satisfactorily filling his place in left field. Easton scored two of Yale's three runs in the Brown game.

Bush is the heaviest hitter at present, batting .392 in nine games, as compared with R. Harte '17 of the University, who is batting .409 in thirteen games. LeGore comes next with .303 while Brickley, second hitter on the University team has .318; then Vaughn .300 in seven games, compared to Gannett .303; Hanes .294 in nine games, to Hardwick .294; Reilly .286 in nine games, to Nash .273; and Hunter .250 in nine games, to Fripp .229.