THE FRESHMAN JUBILEE.

The Freshman class has planned an event which will doubtless become one of the traditional land-marks of the College course, along with the Junior Dance and the Senior Spread. The new function has been given the distinctive name of "Jubilee," and is unusual in idea as well. While it will centre around an interdormitory singing contest, it will contain more than a bare hint of social attraction. The competition, of course, will be "the thing." But in addition there will be a reception, a concert, a buffet supper, and a dance,--surely enough to attract even those who hitherto have taken no pleasure in listening to men's choruses. The occasion will be both educative and enjoyable. Everything will take place in and around the Freshman dormitories; and the Freshmen may invite their families and their friends.

The whole is admirably planned. A good time may be combined with the encouragement of serious artistic endeavor. Neither need detract from the other, but each may contribute to the creation of another opportunity for Harvard to open itself to the outside world. As it is, such opportunities are only too rare, and come late in college life. If it were not for the singing, there would be small excuse for a mere "blow out"; on the other hand, the incidental pleasures only serve as further stimulus for the choral work.

The competition itself is a continuation of the idea which has taken the University Glee Club to New York for the past two years. The same Dr. Davison who originated the first practical plan for an Intercollegiate Glee Club Meet has directed the formation of a group of volunteer singers in each Freshman dormitory, and has set in motion the system which will bring them together competitively on June 1. What the Meet has already begun to do for singing among colleges, the Jubilee may be expected to accomplish for singing at Harvard. Such competitions have a two-fold benefit: They educate the listener; and they stimulate the competitor to a higher standard of endeavor. At least those who have participated will come forth with a finer appreciation for good choral music well rendered. And of the listeners, even the singularly unappreciative can hardly fail to realize that they have heard something better than the type of melody usually associated with Varsity Fifty-fives.