FOR EARLIER CLASSES.

The arrangement of our College day has not kept pace with the growing interest in "athletics for all." As matters now stand, men frequently cut their "two-thirty" classes; some for University athletics, and a larger number for mere exercise. The "two-thirty" is unfortunately prominent in the list of popular antipathies of college men.

For those who compete for the University football and baseball teams, the "two-thirty" is a thing to be avoided as well as disliked, and some plan for readjusting the college day would be justified from a consideration of those men alone. But the effect of the "two-thirty" extends further; it seriously effects the general movement of "athletics for all." Statistics have shown that an encouragingly large proportion of the University is taking part in that movement. In the past few years the number of men who take regular exercise has been increasing appreciably. However, it cannot be denied that athletic ardor is discouraged by attending a class or a lecture which comes in the middle of the afternoon. Argument on the point is bootless; everyone thinks long and carefully before electing the "two-thirty."

The CRIMSON'S suggestion is that the College day begin earlier. Those classes for lectures which are now held at two-thirty o'clock are, of course, essential parts of the College curriculum. They cannot be withheld, but if proper encouragement is to be given the "average man" to indulge in the regular exercise that is universally advocated, those classes and lectures must be shifted. Conservatism naturally takes a large part in the arrangement of college exercises, but when the arrangement is inimical to the interests of the College as a whole, then it is time to make a change.

First thought may prophesy unpopularity for earlier classes, but college men are not the "molly-coddles" that popular action would have the world believe. An hour taken from the middle of a precious afternoon and placed before the "nine o'clock" would mean no hardship. On the contrary, such a change would put the academic and the athletic each in their proper spheres, and would make an arrangement of the college day much more logical and much more generally beneficial than that now existent.