A MAXIM SILENCER.

In a communication in today's issue, Mr. Hudson Maxim replies to the CRIMSON'S criticism of the free distribution of his book, "Defenseless America," to the Senior class. He begins his answer with the statement that even though his advice is mistaken, "it does no harm to warn the country of dangers that do not exist." Does a warning which calls for a radical change in the national policy, involving the expenditure of millions of dollars, do no harm if it happens to be based on false assumptions?

Mr. Maxim then attacks the errors of a too idealistic pacifism. There is no doubt that idealists and dreamers enlisted in this cause have put forth many impractical theories and proposals. This does not affect the maintenance of a sane and temperate attitude in the question of armament increase. A sharp contrast between the two types of pacifist has just been furnished by the resignation of Mr. Bryan, due to his disagreement with President Wilson. The President's policy, never that of non-resistance, has been such as to inspire the confidence and support of the whole country.

Mr. Maxim states that at present he derives no support from the manufacture of arms or amunition. Nevertheless, he has made his fortune in them, and his life-work stands or falls on the justification of their purpose. He is, therefore, none the less eager to vindicate his trade.

The letter ends with the statement that "we know as certainly as we know anything that the language of big guns alone is able to command respect for any nation." Does Germany, the country of big guns, command the respect of the world? It was not so long ago that an even more cynical militarist, Napoleon, made a similar statement, "God is on the side of the heaviest artillery."