THE CAMPAIGN CLOSES.

Yesterday's victory over Yale added another to the hard-won major sport championships to the University's credit. The year has been one of early reverses uphill fighting, and final triumph in more than one branch of athletics. The overwhelming success of the football team last fall after unparalleled accidents testified to an indomitable fighting spirit. The track team retrieved a close defeat by Cornell by winning from Yale. And now Coach Haughton, taking charge in mid-season of a baseball team which had already lost its captain, has led it to triumph. With the victory from Yale in hockey and those in several of the minor sports, there wants only a favorable communique from the water-front at New London to make the Harvard cup of joy complete.

Let us then be pardoned a little timely exultation in showing our appreciation of the efforts of the coaches and men who have brought about these results. College athletics are not the main tent; they are properly the side show of college life; but the side show is often very important, if only to set off and strengthen the main attractions. "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are," says the physician. Similarly one might say, "tell me how well you play at manly contests, and I will tell you how well you work intellectually;" and the error would be only one of degree. Herein lies fundamentally the wherefore of intercollegiate athletics. They also satisfy the spirit of competition in men; this requires victories,--and sometimes defeats. At present, however, the University feels that it does not need the latter; and it is with the words of our Marseillaise in mind that all now cry "On to New London!" There a strennous close to the campaign of 1914-15 is expected.