NEW RULING REQUIRES APPRAISAL OF BAGGAGE

Failure in Observance Will Subject Travellers to Heavy Penalty.

The new ruling of the inter-state commerce commission in regard to luggage carried to points outside of the state is of special interest to students in the University who live at a distance.

It is now necessary that all passengers on trains to points outside of the state declare the exact value of their baggage before having it checked. As heretofore 150 pounds will be carried free, provided the value is not over $100, but all baggage valued above that amount requires an additional fee, graduated in accordance to value.

Any passenger who is found guilty of either over-valuation or under-valuation of his baggage will be subject to a fine of $5,000 or three years imprisonment the reason for such stringent punishment being that the railroads are now compelled to pay the full value of baggage lost or destroyed, whereas heretofore they could not be held for damages above $100 except in case of special declaration.

Blanks, containing the provisions of the new ruling and upon which the passenger is obliged to state his baggage valuation, are provided at the railway stations.