WILLIAMS MADE EASTERN TEAM

Tennis Quartet Selected to Play for Panama-Pacific Title.

The eastern states tennis team which will compete for the Panama-Pacific championship at San Francisco will include R. N. Williams, 2d., '16 of Philadelphia, Pa., who will captain the team, and W. M. Washburn '15, of New York. G. M. Church, of Englewood, N. J., captain of the Princeton tennis team, and D. Mathey of Cranford, N. J., also of Princeton, are the other players who have been selected by the committee of the United States Lawn Tennis Association.

Williams won the national championship from M. E. McLoughlin in three sets at Newport last August. But Church beat Williams a month later for the national intercollegiate honors. Washburn has won several of the minor championships of the East. Church and Mathey, who were challengers for the national championship to McLoughlin and Bundy last year, will form the pair for the doubles.

The team will leave for San Francisco early in July after preparatory matches at Pittsburgh, in the national clay court championship games. The Panama-Pacific matches begin on the asphalt courts at San Francisco, July 10. These will be followed by East versus West matches, four singles and two doubles. It is expected that several of the California players will return with the team to play in the tournament at Longwood, Boston.