THE HENLEY COMBINATION

The brightest achievement of recent years in Harvard rowing was the signal victory of our Henley eight which captured the Grand Challenge Cup in the last regatta for that prize held on the Thames. The other entrant which had won its way to the finals was the Union Boat Club crew, composed of Harvard graduates. The former eight was coached by Robert F. Herrick '90, the latter by William Haines. A pair better fitted to work in harmony and effectively direct the University's rowing policy could not be found.

Mr. Herrick will act as head coach and direct the general policy while Mr. Haines will be with the crews daily and give the men individual instruction in the art of handling an oar. This arrangement appears to be ideal as it combines at the same time graduate and professional training. Mr. Herrick will act as a buffer for graduate advice and criticism which he will carefully sift out and pass on to Mr. Haines. The latter will thus be free to carry out his program unhampered by "too many cooks."

The announcement of the change of coaches comes as a surprise to the students which has been generally satisfied with Wray's showing against Yale. Close followers of rowing, however, have been dissatisfied with the University's showing against other colleges, notably Cornell, where only two victories in eleven races have been secured, and have long felt that a change was necessary, hesitating only because of Harvard's success against Yale. The shift is not, therefore, the whim of a moment but the culmination of a growing dissatisfaction as indicated by its endorsement by the captains of the last nine crews.