FOOTBALL SQUAD WAS GIVEN HARD SCRIMMAGE YESTERDAY

First String Players Scored Several Times Against Weak Defense of Second Team.

The football squad went through a stiff practice yesterday afternoon culminating in a scrimmage between the first and second teams, which lasted over an hour. In the preliminary practice a backfield composed of Mahan, King, and McKinlock ran through the signals, but neither of the first two took part in the scrimmage.

The second team put up a weak defense against the first string players and the latter scored several times with comparative ease. Enwright was used through most of the scrimmage and showed aggressiveness on the offense. J. A. Doherty '16, quarterback on the second team last year, played that position on the first team yesterday for the first time this week and made a creditable showing. W. Whitney '16, who started the scrimmage at fullback scored twice on drop-kicks from the 25-yard line. The best kicking was done by D. M. McElwain '18, one of whose punts went over 75 yards.

The University team lined up as follows: l.e., Coolidge; l.t., R. C. Curtis; l.g., Snow; c., Sagar; r.g., Burr; r.t., Caner; r.e., Gilman; q.b., Willcox; l.h.b., Enwright; r.h.b., Rollins; f.b., Whitney.