FRESHMEN WON IN FINALS OF INTERCLASS DEBATES

Defeated Senior Team by Upholding Negative of Proposition.--Speaking Was Excellent.

In the finals of the interclass debates, held in the New Lecture Hall last night, the Freshmen defeated the Seniors, successfully disproving the proposition which 1916 attempted to uphold, "Resolved, That it is for the best interests of the United States to lend economic and financial aid to the European belligerents."

In making the award the chairman commented on the high character of the speaking done by both sides and expressed the opinion that the debate was the best interclass contest ever held. The one fault in the match was a tendency of both wings to avoid the point at issue, due to the faculty wording of the proposition, in which many loopholes were found. The affirmative stated that there were three possible courses open to the United States: either to continue the policy of exportation of arms and foodstuffs, or to place an embargo on such exportation, or to enter the war. An embargo would spell financial ruin, for the country to enter the war would be more disastrous, therefore only one path of procedure is left. The negative maintained that the munition plants would collapse after the war and cause economic disaster and that now the country is besmirching itself in the eyes of the world by accepting "blood money." The judges were: Professor A. N. Holcombe '06, Professor E. E. Day, and Mr. J. S. Davis '08. E. R. Roberts ocC. presided.

The teams were as follows: 1916--W. E. McCurdy, H. L. M. Cole, and E. A. LeRoy; 1919--G. H. Brownell, M. Conley, J. Davis.