READING AND HILL FOR DEFENCE

Two Witnesses on Stand in Cambridge Faire Assessment Case.

The defence rested yesterday noon in the case before Judge Raymond in the Middlesex Superior Court in which Robert B. Harris, a resident of Cambridge and a Boston lawyer, is charged with having taken a false oath and designed a false certificate in connection with the assessment of W. Townsent '16 of Oct. 11, 1915, at the office of the Board of Assessors. A. K. Reading, a lawyer and the manager of Mayor Rockwood's campaign for mayor, and Representative K. P. Hill were the witnesses heard today. Reading was examined and cross-examined at length, but Hill's direct examination was brief, and he was not cross-examined. Herbert Parker, senior counsel for the defence, rested after Hill left the stand and called no witnesses in rebuttal. Arguments in the case began at 1.30.

Reading testified that he had made some study of the law relating to taking on oath for an applicant for assessment, and he said that, in a general way, he advised Townsend as to his rights at the time Townsend went before the Cambridge assessors.